Friday, May 1, 2009

A different perspective

Last Friday I dropped Alexia off at the gymnastics place so she could spend an hour at 'open gym'. It's a pretty good place for her to expend some energy on a Friday night... while I went to get a haircut.

An hour later I returned to pick her up. She ran right over, collected her stuff and off to the car we went. During the 8 minute drive home, we had a conversation that was something like this:

Alexia (calmly): "You have to take me to the hospital."
Surprised father: "Oh. Really?"
A: "Yes."
E: "Why?"
A: "I broke my foot."
E: "Really?"
A (serious): "Yes. I need to get a cast."
E: "What happened?"
A: "I hurt it on the side of the trampoline. It's broken and I need a cast."
E: "Well, it didn't seem to be hurting when I picked you up... how long ago did this happen?"
A: "About five minutes before you got there."
E: "But you were able to keep playing?"
A: "No! I had to sit and wait for you to show up."
E: "Did you ask anyone for help? You just sat there?"
A: "No, I was swinging on the rope over the foam pit while I waited".
E: "Oh. Well, I think maybe we should go home and show it to your mother before we go to the hospital".

It all turned out well at home, no broken bones. But we had crutches just her size on hand in case she decided she really needed them (thanks again to Poppy for that).

It was right about this time that I finally got around to taking off my coat and Alexia spied my shirt... and freaked out!

A: "YOU WORE THAT SHIRT?!?!?"
E: "Ummmm... yeah."
A: "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!"
E: " " (a temporary loss for words)
E: "What?"
A: "PEOPLE WILL THINK YOU'RE A ROBBER!!!!"




The next day we went to a Walk-A-Thon at Alexia's school. Afterwards she saw the same shirt in my room and accused me of wearing it to the Walk-a-Thon and embarrassing her. I explained that I didn't wear it to the Walk-a-Thon because I just wore it the other day and didn't want to be an outfit-repeater.

=======
The dull story behind the shirt, if you don't already know, is that our CFO gave one to everyone in the finance department last year. The front has the company name and 'Accounting', of course.

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment