Saturday, June 12, 2010

Seattle Science Center Grade 3 Field Trip

The other week I took the day off of work to help chaperon Alexia's 3rd grade class to the Seattle Science Center for their field trip.



Here is the group that Venus & I were in charge of. They were a great group who had a good time.

The itinerary was jam packed with scheduled events so we didn't have a lot of time to roam the numerous exhibits.

We started off in the Insect World and Butterfly house.


One of the kids in our group was deathly scared of butterflies. Well, she wasn't scared of them... she just wanted to make sure none of them landed on her.

After that we had to rush off to a laser show.

Personally, I was excited about the laser show. It's been MANY years (too many to publicly record in this family blog) but the thought of a laser show always brings fond memories of good times with good friends... circa mid-1980's.

Remember back in the mid 1980's? Yes, phones were attached to the wall and your phone in the kitchen probably had a 25 foot spiral cord on it so you could drag the receiver into the bathroom to talk without a grown up listening in so easily. So much has changed since then... so many technological improvements have been made... a laser show in 2010 would certainly be the bees knees above and beyond what was possible in 1985.

You would think.

Well... to my dismay, it was virtually the same show now as it was back then.

It was still cool... but I had expected something bigger and better, but that's just me.

The kids loved it (never mind that some of these kids have never before seen an escalator, much less a real laser)!

From there we were invited to eat our brown bag lunches outside on some covered picnic tables. We decided to eat quickly since the wind was blowing the rain horizontally right under the covered area.

After a little more browsing we enjoyed a 3D IMAX movie about the Hubble Telescope. It was a little more impressive than the laser show... at least the IMAX show has made technological advances since 1985.

Finally, a few group photos before making the return trip to the school.





See that boy in the middle of this picture? He sat next to me on the bus ride down to Seattle. For the sake of anonymity, let's call him "Jim".

The bus ride was making me sleepy, but "Jim" kept me awake the whole way by either drawing cartoons in his notebook (based on my suggestions that he kept asking for), telling me jokes or sharing his interesting life story with me. Admittedly, he was really entertaining and made me laugh on a number of occasions during the bus ride.

Some time later that evening, Alexia told Tanya that we should adopt "Jim".
"Why?" asked Tanya.
"Because Dad likes him a lot. "Jim" kept talking to Dad, waking him up on the bus and Dad kept talking back to him. I think he likes him a lot."

It was a funny observation from Alexia that I wasn't even aware she was paying attention to. She made us laugh.

~E

1 comment: