Sunday, October 18, 2009

Household Oddities

Sometimes things change gradually and you don't really notice the changes.

Or maybe you do notice the changes, but it's a small change and not really a big deal so you just 'let it be' and move on.  Often times these changes are just meant to be temporary.

I think this probably happens to everybody.

Then... one random day you realize how a lot of small changes, insignificant on their own, can build up into something that might seem peculiar to the casual observer.  Or visitors.  Or Friends.  Or Neighbors.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Lately I've noticed some unusual things in and around the house.  They're all temporary.  In this situation, "Temporary" is measured in five year increments.

Let me list a few of the oddities for you.

1)  We have a child gate set up to block off the downstairs bathroom.  This is odd because my youngest is nine.  Years, not months.

2)  We have a litter box outside on the porch.  Our cat is an indoor cat.

3)  I have a Rainforest Closet.  Clothes are often hung in that doorway to my closet while they dry.  Every time I have to go in and out of there it feels like I'm ducking under wet tree branches.

4)  All the bedroom and bathroom garbage cans can now be found on the top of furniture, instead of on the ground.  Kind of like we are expecting a 100 year flood and don't want the garbage cans to get damaged.  Actually, it's not a flood we are concerned about... it's Hurricane Katrina (the dog, if you didn't know).


5)  The cat won't eat until you hop the child gate into the bathroom where her food is and 'look' to see if she has food in her bowl.  She won't go eat until after you go into the bathroom first.

6)  The "Industrial Art" (complete with Artist Drawn pencil circle) underneath our bathroom window was originally a towel holder.  Three times.  Now it's just Art, which is better than the holes in the wall which would be the alternative.


7)  Our family room is currently painted with three walls of purple and one wall of brown (oops, I mean "Latte").  We are trying to decide if we like the Latte color or not.  We've been deciding for about two months now.

That's about it I guess.  There must be others that I'm forgetting but that's alright because I'm sure you'll point them out the next time you visit.

~E













2 comments:

  1. Needed a good laugh so came to the Rolfs Blogspot, thanks for accomodating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I can relate--we have baby gates all over the place and an old high school year book as a garbage can "lid" to keep hurricane Charlie out of the garbage. Thanks for the laugh, Eric! Can't wait for your next blog!! :-)

    ReplyDelete