Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Tanya! Sorry about the cake.

Today was Tanya's birthday (Aug 20th if you are holding a writing utensil and looking at your calendar).

We enjoyed a nice, quiet dinner at Max Dale's in Mt. Vernon together. Their Prime Rib is FANTASTIC and the marionberry Cheesecake was awesome. Two thumbs up.

Even though we had cheesecake with dinner, we still came home to enjoy (a few hours later) some birthday cake.

Maybe you've seen some of the recent TV series, such as Ace of Cakes on television lately. Well, when Tanya politely asked me if I was planning on making a strawberry cake for her (peanut free version is available at Fred Meyer she said) I of course said "Of course!".

Immediately my mind turned to those cool cake shows I saw on TV where they create those awesome cakes that are anything but normal.

There is no reason I couldn't make one of those things.
Technically speaking.
Did you by chance see the results of my creativity put into play when I made my pine cone gnome? (That blog entry is here.)

Here is my vision:


First task is to get the peanut-free strawberry cake mix from Fred Meyer. Well, it turns out they no longer sell that flavor. Whoops.

Luckily, Tanya picked out an alternate flavor from Safeway on Wednesday. Thanks honey. Sorry about that. It's unfair when you have to buy your own cake mix for your own birthday. She even bought the frosting.

Finally, at about 9:00pm the cake went into the oven. It cooked up just like it was supposed to. Then it had to cool. Well, it was getting late so I resigned to frost it and put the finishing touches on it in the morning before work.

Tanya offered to help do the frosting for me, but I felt bad... it's just not right to have to frost your own birthday cake.

So, I started the frosting process at about 6:45a.m. on Thursday. At about 6:46a.m. I became frustrated when the cake started peeling apart as I tried to spread the frosting. At about 6:50a.m. I cleaned up the mess I had made and left a lovely note to T, asking her to finish the frosting job if she had time.

She did an excellent job fixing up the disaster I left... and the cake tasted great.

Here's what my vision turned into:

Let me clarify that without T's help this thing would have just been a big cake sandwich: one layer of frosting between two unfrosted cake layers.

Maybe next year will work out a little better for both of us.

Love, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment